Saturday, November 6, 2010

...But When I Become a Star, We'll Be Living So Large. I'd do Anything for You.

I recently talked to a very dear friend of mine about a poem that I wrote, which happens to be on this site. She talked about the defining line in the piece, which states, "Because without you...I'm nothing."

Her concerns over this line were that I didn't think of myself enough without somebody in my life, and being a concerned friend, made it known to me that I didn't need anybody else to make myself feel complete. That really hit home for me, and made me question whether or not she was right.

Food for thought comes from some strange places, and for me it came from our stand-in DJ at work tonight. A song came on that seemed to provide some clarity for me.

I have to be honest with myself when I say that my pursuit of becoming a successful author carries with it the glorious idea of being financially stable doing that which I love more than anything else, as most best-selling authors are. My point behind "...without you...I'm nothing" is not the fact that I'm nothing without somebody in my life, but rather that I want somebody to share whatever life throws at me, whether it be a huge success, or a catastrophic downfall. I'm confident that my ambition will carry me to the level that I wish to achieve, but I can only hope that those I love can enjoy the ride with me.

I don't believe that success should be something that somebody should enjoy alone, and I fully intend to share whatever success I achieve in this life with those who are closest to me...whoever they may be when I get there.

-GS

1 comment:

Susan said...

I completely agree with you on the idea of wanting to share successes and failures with those closest to you. At the end of the book Into the Wild Jon Krakauer reveals that Christopher McCandless came to an epiphany as he was dying, and that epiphany was that happiness comes from being able to share the most important parts of your life with another person (or persons). It's sad that he didn't make it out of "the wild" to live that belief, but every time I read that passage in the book I think of how true it is.